I. Brief introduction to Technical Center
Zongshen R&D Center was founded in 1999 and developed into a multi-field product research center after years of development. It is listed among 11th batches of nationally acknowledged enterprises technology centers in 2004. The total number of patents is top-ranked in Chinese motorcycle industry .（as of 2010,patent:s totaled 2551,among which 106 are inventions and 1722 are utility models. The combination of the two is the highest ranked in Chinese motorcycle industry）. It has 696 R&D staff, and 80% of them have bachelor’s degree or above, and over 80 staff have master’s or doctor’s degree or are professors and experts in this field. It is the post-doctoral research station specially established by State Ministry of Personnel.
II. Mission of the Center
New product development strategy of the Group is implemented with advantages of current products and whole process development of vehicle original design of Zongshen Group and taking full use of foreign state-of-art technologies. Product lines are expanded by launching new products to meet user demands with high quality, full series and differentiation so as to enhance "Zongshen" product feature and establish a leading position in the industry.
III. Vision of the Center
R&D Company focuses on diverse end products related to new energy and thermal power machinery industry, takes utilization of new material and process, absorption of state-of-art technologies home and abroad, continuous improvement of product technical level and seeking for maximum profit for the Group as the Company’s own responsibility so as to make Zongshen the international and vintage brand.
IV. Values of the Center
Pursuit of innovation absorption of technology respect for individuality encouragement of learning
V. Honors of the Center
In October 2004, "National Certified Enterprise Technical Center" was granted jointly by National Development and Reform Commission, Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China, General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China and State Administration of Taxation;
In 2005, the Center passed the acceptance of National Good Standardization Enterprise, which is now the only enterprise technical center that reaches AAAA level standardization level in Chongqing;
In November 2005, the Test Center was certified and selected into National Laboratory List; and
In December 2005, the post-doctoral research station was established in the Center with approval of Ministry of Human Resource and Social Security of the People’s Republic of China.
In October 2006, “Chongqing Excellent Corporate in Standardization Work”was granted by Chongqing government.
In 2008, after examination, "Chongqing High-Tech Enterprise" was granted by Chongqing Science and Technology Committee.
In August 2008, won the second prize in “Chongqing Industrial Design Campaign” held by China Industrial Design Association.
In December 2009, won the third prize in “Chongqing Industrial Design Campaign” held by China Industrial Design Association.
On 22 October 2010, the center obtained the Certificate of Approval after passing the re-examination conducted by China National Accreditation Board for Laboratories.
On 30 November 2012, the model Z-ONE entered into the final run of appraisal in 2012 China Excellent Industrial Design Campaign.
On 15 December 2012, the model Z-ONE won the 2012 China (Chongqing) “Yangtze River Cup”International Industrial Design Award.
On 19 December 2012, the model Z-ONE won the 2012 Red Star Design Award.
In Nov. 2012, Zongshen R&D was honored as Hi-tech Enterprise.
In Mar. 2013, Zongshen R&D obtained the title of Nationally Recognized Laboratory.
On Jul. 19, 2013, Zongshen R&D was appraised as Chongqing Hi-tech Enterprise.
VI. R&D Results
R&D results of the Center take a leading role in domestic motorcycle industry that dozens of products are listed into National Innovation Project, National Torch Program Project and National, among which, 150CC, 200CC and 250CC wholly covered sport bikes, 750CC road racing motorcycle, V-type 200CC double-cylinder engine and chopper, 500CC single-cylinder engine and sport bike, 150CC professional off-road racing motorcycle, 18-horsepower general engine with vertical axis and electrical/fuel dual power wheeler obtained a dozen awards of industrial competition in international racing competition.
VII. Intellectual Property
Zongshen R&D Center has the most complete intellectual property database in Chinese motorcycle industry. The total number of patent ranks top in domestic motorcycle industry that more than 3500 patents were applied until Feb. 2014 (140 invention patents, 2000 utility model patents and 1300 appearance design patents), and there are more than 30 foreign patents and over 3400 patent authorizations. Besides, there are totally over 800 trademark registration applications (600 domestic applications and 200 foreign applications), 98 copyright registrations and 71 customs filings.
VIII. Technical Cooperation
The Center, as for product innovation, adhered to the cooperation idea of "going out and bringing in", carried out outward technical cooperation widely like "Industry-University-Research Institute" collaboration to bring in state-of-art technology and established good cooperative relationship with partners to laid solid foundation for technical innovation and sophisticated manufacture of Zongshen Group. The Center, directed by "Cyclone Project", adjusted product portfolio of motorcycle, engine and related thermal power machinery and started strategically new product R&D work of motorcycle, engine, general machinery and new energy. It integrated internal and external resources, carried out outward cooperation, optimized development process and organized management change to solve technical troubles, improve professional technical capability and enhance R&D level of the enterprise.
1) Cooperated with Tianjin University and Chongqing University to establish joint laboratories for vibration and noise reduction research of motorcycle, vehicle engine and general engine products to improve comprehensive product performance and create product core competitiveness;
2) Carried out long-term strategic cooperation with Taiwan Nova Design Co., Ltd. to complete product industrial design and development process and improve product moulding level and capability of design, analysis and verification.
3) Carried out 8 years’ cooperation of EFI system development with "DELPHI" and controlled harmful gas emission of products to meet different emission laws and regulations of regional markets in the world.
4) Developed 500CC engine and 13/18 horsepower general engine with vertical axis in cooperation with France "MECACHROME" company, which filled the gap products of large emission of the Group and improved development capability of large emission products of the Group.
5) Brought in state-of-art technologies of "PIAGGIO" engine and complete vehicle with the opportunity of joint venture between the Group and Italian "PIAGGIO" company. The two parties developed jointly motorcycles and engines applicable to Chinese market while technical capability of product development was improved.
6) Cooperated with US "Harley Davidson" to develop chopper of large emission and grasped methods and standards for development of large emission products.
7) Cooperated with Italian "SELVA" company to develop outboard engines.
8) Brought in technical standards of general engines and end products to improve capability of general engine design with the opportunity of joint venture between the Group and MTD Inc. of U.S.A.
9) Cooperated with international and domestic well-know companies or organizations to carry out technical development of power system, frame lightweight design, suspension system design, indication system design for intellectual instrument and optical signal system design etc.